Monday, June 30, 2008

Balsamic-Honey Roasted Root Vegetables

This week I had a bunch of stuff in my fridge from the CSA (community supported agriculture) program that I really didn't know what to do with: turnips, beets, radishes, carrots, onions and garlic. I found this recipe on the internet and it turned out great. I didn't follow the recipe exactly...just used what I happened to have. I used fresh rosemary from our herb garden - yum!

Balsamic-Honey Roasted Root Vegetables
by What's Cooking? modified by Charity

* 5 large carrots, unpeeled, in 3/4 inch slices
* 1 large yam, peeled, in 1 x 1 inch cubes
* 1 large rutabaga, peeled, in 1 x 1 inch cubes
* 4 turnips, peeled, in 1 x 1 inch cubes
* 1 large parsnip, in 3/4 inch slices
* 3 yellow beets, peeled, in 1 x 1 inch cubes
* 8 garlic cloves, peeled
* 3 stalks celery, in 3/4 inch slices
* 2-3 small red potatoes, in 1x1 inch cubes (optional)
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
* 1/3 cup honey
* 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, minced
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* fresh ground black pepper, to taste


1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. Toss ingredients in a deep baking dish.
3. Roast, uncovered, for approximately 45 minutes or until all vegetables are soft throughout, browned and caramelized. Toss vegetables occassionally.
4. Serve hot or at room temperature.

No comments: