Wednesday, July 2, 2008

George W. Almost Made Me Late for Dog School...

Tuesday evenings are always very hectic for me. I have to rush home from work, grab something to eat, brush the dogs, and be out the door with Gary, Katie and Louis by 6:30. Yesterday on my way home from work I found myself in a traffic jam. A big SUV was in front of me, so I couldn't see what was happening. As soon as the traffic crawled forward a bit I turned down a side street to try to circumvent the jam. I travelled down the side street unimpeded and made a right turn to begin heading for home. I was feeling a bit smug that I had escaped from the mess until I approached an intersection where a police car was in the middle of the road blocking traffic from both directions. I heard a helicopter and looked up through my sunroof to see a police helicopter flying right over my car. I began to get a little scared thinking that there must be a criminal in the area that they were trying to track down. I quickly checked to make sure my car doors were locked. Then I noticed a man across the street from me get out of his car and speak to the police officer standing in the middle of the road. When the police officer didn't tell him to get back in his car I relaxed thinking it must not be a dangerous situation. Everyone was staring down the cross street and a couple with their baby in a carriage were briskly moving toward a scene that I assumed must be quite riveting. I realized we weren't going to be moving anytime soon so I got out of my car. The officer excitedly told me, "President Bush is down there. You can walk over there if you want to." I did move in that direction with only the intention of trying to ascertain when the traffic might be granted permission to proceed forward again. I saw the back of Bush which was more that I needed to see. I headed back to my car complaining loudly about the fact that George W was making me late for school. A kind hearted lady heard me and said that she is a Dean at UALR and she would make sure I was excused from class. I laughingly explained that I was referring to dog school, while feeling secretly pleased that she mistook me for a college student. She and I ended up having a lovely conversation about dog training which was a great distraction from the criminal that was indeed walking the streets of our neighborhood.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww we would have HOWLED at him!

Sue said...

Charity, I have a great trick you can teach Katie and Louis. Every time they see a picture of "W" they tear it up and growl...

-sue