Friday, July 25, 2008

Thoughts About Louis as He Turns 6 Months Old


Our baby Louie is growing up so fast. He has been home for just under four months. In that short amount of time he has become a dear friend to me, Katie and Gary. Louie is so generous with his love and affection. It's difficult for me to express how much I have grown to love this giant cuddlebug. Our bond is still forming, but it is already so strong. When I look at his sweet face, touch his velvety soft head, or just listen to him breathing I feel a warm glow of peace in my soul.

Louis loves to take care of his "pack". He always makes sure that his sister's ears are clean. He grooms me and Gary with licks and gentle nibbles with his tiny front teeth. It's almost like he is trying to pick imaginary fleas off of our skin because his teeth don't bite us they just ever so gently graze the surface of our skin. I am fairly tickleish...he sometimes makes me squeal, but I try to be still while he completes his task. Louis also takes care of us by alerting us all to any potential dangers. Around the age of 4 1/2 months old he began developing an excellent intuition about our environment. If anything is amiss Louis will be sure to let us know (if his vigilant big sister doesn't beat him to it).

Studies have been done that say your overall happiness level doesn't change when you add a child to your family. This never rang true to me although perhaps it is true for some people. Personally, my happiness level increased immensely when Katie came home and increased yet again when Louie joined our family. Gary and Katie seem happier also with the addition of our youngest pack member. I am amazed every day by how much these precious creatures enrich our lives. It's fascinating to me that 6 and 20 month old Newfies have become a couple of my greatest teachers. The most important lesson they constantly remind me of is to live in the present moment.

2 comments:

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

Oh, I think you just get happier and happier with each furry addition! How could you not??

Unknown said...

This is so sweet. What a lucky dog to have you "writing on his slate" with love and understanding. Enjoy your "teenager!"