Thursday, January 8, 2009

Pinch Me... I Must Be Dreaming

Guess what we got in the mail today???? Our second I171H (approved as of 1/6/2009) which is now good until 7/6/2010!!!! For non adoption people it may be a bit difficult to understand the great excitement caused by the receipt of this document. The I171H basically means that you have been approved by the Department of Homeland Security to bring an orphan into the country for the purpose of adoption. The document only has a shelf life of 18 months, but there are a few loopholes which I took complete advantage of in the hopes that we wouldn't have to do this three times. Most of my adopting friends who were logged in around the same time as us are getting ready to file for their third round because their second round is about to expire. For the last couple of months I have been mentally biting my nails wondering if DHS was going to process our paperwork correctly or if they were going to make us start all over with the I800A form (an expensive and extremely time consuming document). Now it appears that we might actually get by with only going through this red tape nightmare twice! Hooray!!!!! I am truly ecstatic!

By the way, the Chinese government has completed referrals for the month of February 2006. We were logged in on July 22, 2006, so we are definitely getting closer to bringing Natalie home. I predict she will be home in late spring or early summer of 2010. We are finally on the downhill portion of the wait for our daughter.

6 comments:

Ang said...

CONGRATULATIONS! How exciting for you!!

Unknown said...

Oh this is exciting news! We understand that the worst part is dealing with bureaucracy and redtape and yellow and blue, etc ... time will go fast now, we hope!

Monica said...

Yay for getting closer! We have a friend who met Reese in China before we got her, that we met online, who is LID in early March 2006 (the 3rd, I think) who are expecting referral in the next few batches. So exciting!

Can't wait to see what Natalie looks like. I know you can't either.

Monica
http://kaijinsbigsis.blogspot.com/

Unknown said...

AWESOME news! Congrats!

Unknown said...

Congratulations Charity & Gary. Our very best to all of you. And of course big hugs to Katie and Louis. All our best..

Ellen
http://www.riverswood.com

cakeathome said...

So exciting to get your I-171 - I adopted both my girls from Kazakhstan in 2003 and 2006 - I now have a newf, too (he's almost 8 months) - wishing you a speedy trip to China.

christie from Newf-l