Tuesday, October 6, 2009

A Special Birthday Gift

My dear friend Maija sent me one of my favorite birthday presents of all time. When I opened a little box from her yesterday and saw a bracelet inside my first thought was that it was very pretty. As I looked at it more closely I saw my name floating in a little glass vial. Then Katie, Gary and Louie's names became visible - each one painted on a piece of rice. Maija knows that my family is very important to me and that the Newfs are as much a part of it as the humans, so I was very touched by her thoughtfulness.

I went outside to do some work in the yard and while out there Natalie popped into my head. I thought to myself about how Natalie already feels like part of our family even though we haven't met her yet. When I came back in the house I picked up my bracelet to admire it again. As the grains of rice shifted once more the name Natalie came into view; I was so surprised. Maija knows me even better than I thought :-) When I wore the bracelet to work today on my birthday I glanced down at it often thinking of the day when our family of five will finally be complete.

Thank you Maija for this beautiful gift. I will always cherish it.
Photobucket

Photobucket

4 comments:

JacksDad said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JacksDad said...

That is a fantastic gift! What a wonderful idea!

And Happy Birthday!!

Nika + PARKER said...

We hope you had a wonderful birthday!

Remington said...

VERY COOL! What a great present!