Wednesday, August 17, 2011

A Lovely New Newf Book

PhotobucketMeet Bernice. She is a big Newfoundland dog who often gets confused with a bear. Sounds familiar to us :)

I recently bought this book as a gift for Gary and Natalie. I know they will read and re-read this beautiful story together many times over the years. It's a perfect book for Natalie, who like Bernice, the Newfoundland dog in the story, may feel different at times from other children. It sends a positive message that being different is not just ok, but that it can really be quite wonderful! Gary loved the gift. He ooohhhhed and aaahhhed over the stunning watercolor art and was moved by the heartwarming story. A frequent line throughout the book "Oh my gosh, it's a bear" is one we have heard literally hundreds of times over the years when we take Katie and Louie out for walks. If you happen to read a copy I would love to know what you think of it.

2 comments:

Bebe Blogger said...

Audrey fell in love w/ her first Newf last week when our neighbor's friend visited with her 10 week old male Newf puppy, Scout. He was so precious and couldn't stop giving Audrey kisses. Audrey always talks about him. I'll have to check out the book. It looks wonderful. Thank you for sharing!

Diana Stoll said...

My husband and I don't have children, but we do have two wonderful dogs: an Akita named Shaftoe and a Newfoundland named Glory. I bought this book for the daughter of a dear friend. Of course I read it -- and then I had to buy a second copy to keep for myself! Thank you for recommending such a lovely book. (Isn't it fun that both the author and Bernice "autographed" it?)