Saturday, November 7, 2009

Louie's Friend (& Katie's too)

Whenever we visit our local nursing home we always make a point to spend some time with Mrs. T. She adores all dogs and always tells Katie or Louie (whoever happens to be visiting on that day) that she loves them. Mrs. T has become a good friend to me too.

During our visit this week Louie greeted Mrs. T, posed for the pictures below and then quickly fell asleep on the floor at the foot of her bed. As Mrs. T and I were chatting for about 45 minutes a few different staff members came into the room. Most of them were scared of Louie which kind of tickled Mrs. T and I since we both know how sweet he is. I finally convinced one staff member to step over Louie and he didn't even raise his head. Most dogs, including Katie, react negatively to people's fear, but not Louie. Mrs. T asked me why Louie doesn't EVER show any acknowledgment of fear and I told her I believe it is because he has lead a charmed life. He has always been treated with love and rarely left by himself. Louie is just an all around well balanced Newf. Katie gets a bit nervous when people act fearful. I think that's because she didn't have an older Newf to raise her and keep her company when we were at work like lucky Louie did when he was little.

Photobucket

That smile from Mrs. T makes our therapy work so gratifying.
Photobucket

(Our thanks to Mrs. T for giving us permission to post these pictures)

3 comments:

JacksDad said...

What a great job you're doing! And Louie looks pretty happy too!

Remington said...

That is VERY nice of you to sit and let someone pet you. That makes people happy. I haven't quite got that down pat yet. Beth tells me it's because I am only 9 1/2 months old. I hope when I grow up I will be as nice as you.

Tovah said...

Louie and Katie are beautiful and so talented! This year I'm hoping that I can finish off the training needed with my Remmy to then take the CGC test and pursue various therapy options. I admire the work you all are doing!