Friday, September 19, 2008

New York, New York

The very best thing about New York is being with my Mom and Sister. The three of us could have fun together anywhere, but it is extra fun to be in a city with such a high energy level. Walking around the streets of New York with two of my best friends in the world, we can be as goofy as we want to be without anyone even batting a single eyelash. Compared to a man I saw walking the streets wearing only his boxers and a comb stuck in his hair - and seeming to be using the rain as his shower - we looked quite tame in comparison.
Photobucket

This is Leah and Markus' old neighborhood. I say "old" because the day Mom and I left Leah began moving their belongings to a new 3 bedroom apartment about 8 blocks away. They were living in a charming 20'x20'x20' studio in a brownstone. Even though it was a tiny space the tall ceilings gave it a spacious feeling.
Photobucket

This amazing chalk drawing was on a sidewalk that we passed by. It was beginning to rain, so soon this beautiful art would be gone...a good reminder of the transitory nature of our existence.
Photobucket

Photobucket

After shopping we needed to recharge...Mom with her music and me with a sugar rush wrapped up as a decadent icing covered chocolate chip cookie cake.
Photobucket

The Apple Store on 5th Avenue was a fun place to visit. I bought an extra set of headphones for my iPhone and an Apple salesperson swiped my credit card right on the floor and had the receipt emailed to me. How cool - no waiting in line! I love the way Apple continues to think outside the box.
Photobucket

A glimpse of the Empire State Building
Photobucket

The El Dorado where the music artist Moby used to live on the second floor.
Photobucket

Central Park where we go for long walks with Bonnie the Catahoula Hound.
Photobucket

Photobucket

As a birthday present Mom and Leah took me to see Xanadu, my first Broadway show. It had all the same music as the movie from the early 80's, but was more of a comedy. It was very well done and was a blast to see. Now if only I could get that song out of my head... "Xanadu...Xanaduuuuuu...now we are here...in Xanaduuuu...Xanadu, your neon lights will shine...for you Xanaduuuu". New York feels like Xanadu to me.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

Charity ! Loved the pictures ! Was waiting to hear how NY went ! Sounds like fun girl !!!

Charlotte and crew